Living By The Spirit
Think back through Craig's talk. What stuck out?
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13 NIV
Galatians 5:16-17, 24-25 Romans 8:12-13
- What you feed grows.
- What you starve dies.
Overcoming The Appetites of The Flesh
- Depend on the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Follow the prompting of the Holy Spirit.
"When you become full of God, you don't crave the emptiness of sin."
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Have you ever tried a free product or timeshare with no obligation to purchase? How’d that go?
- What’s your best story of feeling obligated to do something?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Read Galatians 5:16-17. What do you think it means to "walk by the Spirit"?
- Is there anything you don’t want to do, yet you do it almost every day? Why do you think this happens?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- When was the last time you felt nudged by the Holy Spirit? What was the outcome?
- Swearing, overeating, lusting, overspending, cheating. Who are these actions intended to benefit? What do they feed?
- Is there something you feel powerless over? Have you invited the power of the Holy Spirit into this area?
- Share a story of a time when you leaned on the power of the Spirit to overcome temptation. What came of it?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Holy Spirit, thank You for using conversation with friends to help us realize our dependence on You. We invite You to continue to nudge us this week. God, thank You for providing a way out!
From the Source
Start digging. Read Scripture about overcoming temptation.
Romans 7:19-25 Isaiah 53:4-5 Ephesians 4:20-24 Psalm 73:23-28
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Feed your spirit with this easy-to-read Bible Plan, and find A Way Out. go2.lc/awayoutplan
- Write down every time you think God’s Spirit nudges you this week.
- Identify at least one person in your LifeGroup who you can confide in while you’re on your way out.
Leaders, Craig filmed this video to thank you: go2.lc/heroes