Start by reviewing this week’s key points.
Pride: a preoccupation with your own importance
"Pride puts the creature in place of the Creator."
Pride in what we know
Pride in what we do
Pride in what we have
Pride shows itself as:
1. A critical spirit
"How will we chase the light? We must empty ourselves and look for ways to serve others."
"We make lousy gods."
How far do you want to take your group? Choose from these suggestions to tailor the discussion to suit your group.
- If pride is Mystique, which X-Man or other comic book character are you?
- Complete this sentence: “It’s hard to be humble when …”
- What thought stood out to you in the message? What do you think God is trying to say to you this week?
- Identify issues in your life that are tied to pride.
- What is some evidence from your life in the last week that you may be preoccupied with your own importance?
- “Everything we have is a result of God’s goodness and grace.” Share ways you’ve seen His grace and goodness in your life.
- Which of your relationships is at risk of being devoured by “the Kraken” of pride? How will you combat pride in that situation?
- What does the title, Chasing Light, mean to you in the context of the story about the old cottage at the monastery?
- How can you shine a light on the pride hiding in the darkness of your soul? What would help clean your windows?
- Get out your phones and open the Bible App. Do a search for the word “pride.” Scan down the list of verses that come up, and have each person share one that speaks to them.
From the Source
Want to dig into more Scripture? Read through these together to introduce a new angle into your discussion.
Matthew 6:22-23 Ezekiel 28:17 Proverbs 3:5-8 Genesis 3:5 Proverbs 16:9 Proverbs 16:18
Live It Out
End with a challenge to take action. Choose a closing question to help each person identify their next steps.
- How will you chase the light to reveal the pride in your soul? What will you do this week to clean the dusty, dirty windows?
- “We make lousy gods.” How can you put God back in His rightful place and stop being preoccupied with your own importance?
- Now that you’ve reflected on how the sin of pride affects your life, identify one step you’ll take this week to defeat the Kraken.