Start by reviewing this week’s key points.
Greed: A preoccupation with possessions
"Greed lives in people, not things."
How much do you give?
* To God
"Taxes fund earthly kingdoms. Tithes fund God’s Kingdom. Give God what is God’s."
* To those in need
1 John 3:17
"You can’t empty a generous pocket."
"How can I defeat greed? You can’t pray it away. You can’t fast it away. You have to give it away."
2 Corinthians 9:8
How do we chase the light?
- Give to God weekly.
- Look for ways to give daily.
How far do you want to take your group? Choose from these suggestions to tailor the discussion to suit your group.
- What was something you refused to share as a child? Your Optimus Prime Transformer? Your Malibu Barbie with the good hair?
- On a scale of Mother Theresa to Scrooge, how would you rate your own greed?
- Shine some light on your soul. Share an example of greed from your own life.
- Is it harder for you to give to God or to those in need? Why do you think that is?
- What underlying fears and unbelief keep you from irrational generosity?
- Remember Pierre’s woodpecker story? In what ways do you think like the woodpecker?
- Use your last six months as a greed-meter. How faithfully have you given to God? How irrationally have you given to those in need?
- Are you generous with people in the way God is generous with you? Where would you be if God met your needs to the same extent that you met the needs of others?
- Get out your phone and give it away. Just kidding. Open the Bible App to perform a search for the word “greed.” Pick a verse that stands out to you and read it to the group.
From the Source
Want to dig into more Scripture? Read through these together to introduce a new angle into your discussion.
Proverbs 19:17 1 Timothy 6:6-10 Psalm 112:1-3 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 Proverbs 30:8-9 Exodus 20:17
Live It Out
End with a challenge to take action. Choose a closing question to help each person identify their next steps.
- What one step could you take to chase the light and defeat greed this week?
- Keep each other accountable to give daily this week. Tip better, pay for people behind you, and care for people in need.
- Take the Three-Month Tithe Challenge: go2.lc/tithechallenge