I Believe in God, but Don’t Fear Him
Think back through Craig’s talk. What stuck out?
Love God + Respect God = Fearing God
Blessings of the Fear of God
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom...
Proverbs 9:10 NIV
- The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a person from the snares of death.
Proverbs 14:27 NIV
- True humility and fear of the LORD lead to riches, honor, and long life.
Proverbs 22:4 NLT
"The fear of the Lord is an ongoing attitude of my heart that moves me to choose over and over again to obey God when it’s easier to do something else."
"The greatest evidence of the fear of God is complete obedience to God."
Start Talking: find a conversation starter for your group.
- Have you ever made a Shrinky Dink? Do you even know what a Shrinky Dink is?
- What’s your gut definition of fearing God? How does the word “fear” make you feel about God?
Start Thinking: ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Do you think the Western perspective of fearing God is any different from a biblical perspective? Explain how it is or isn’t.
- Does your life reflect your understanding of God as a loving Father, or a righteous Judge? Do you think you need more balance? If so, how?
- How do you think you’d respond if God asked you to do something crazy like what He asked of Abraham and Isaac?
Start Sharing: choose questions that create openness.
- Have you ever customized to what extent you obey God? Share a story. How did it work out?
- Share a story of a time when your fear of the Lord led to a wise decision, a fuller life, success, honor, or health.
- In what area of your life are you not fearing and not obeying God? What are you going to do about it?
Start Praying: be bold and pray specifically.
- Lord, help us to know You as Father, Friend, and Consuming Fire. Holy Spirit, reveal my broken places and give me the strength to submit them for healing. Thank You, Jesus, for making this possible.
From the Source
Keep Reading: dig into Scripture about knowing God.
Live It Out
Start Doing: commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Grow your love + respect for God by reading this Psalms and Proverbs Bible Plan go2.lc/psalmsproverbs
- Write down two or three action steps you’ll take to fear the Lord in a way you haven’t been. Share them with the group, and begin living them out.
- Dig deeper into Christian Atheist. Buy the book, then check out this 12-week group discussion guide at go2.lc/castudy