Think back through Craig’s message. What sticks out to you?
While [Jesus] was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.
Mark 14:3 NIV
Broken and Poured Out
- Her gift represented her past.
- Her gift represented her future.
￼￼￼“Your most effective ministry will come out of your deepest hurts.”
“When the woman broke the jar, she didn’t hold back a single drop. When Jesus’ body was broken, He gave his whole life.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Name the most expensive thing you’ve broken. Okay, how’d you break it?
- What’s something you hate to see get poured out or wasted?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- What point do you think Mark was trying to make by putting the story of the woman and the Passover next to each other?
- Imagine you were in the room when this woman broke the $20K jar. How would you respond?
- Read Luke 22:19. What all do you think Jesus wanted us to do when He said, “... do this in remembrance of me”?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Have you ever experienced the type of brokenness Pastor Craig talked about? What’s your story?
- Are you trying to stay strong in an area of weakness or hold on to something you need to pour out? What’s keeping you from giving it to God?
- Describe what a broken and poured out life could look like.
- How has God has used broken areas from your past to help others?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Jesus, You’ve told us to keep doing what You did: be broken and poured out to bring people closer to God. Will You embolden us to really start living this way? Amen.
Start digging. Read Scripture about brokenness.
Psalm 51:17 2 Corinthians 4:7-12 Isaiah 53:4-5 Romans 12:1
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Feeling risky? Start the Dangerous Prayers Bible Plan. go2.lc/dangerous
- You have something to pour out. Empty every last drop for God this week.
- Start each day by asking God to give you opportunities to rely on His strength alone.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme