Think back through Sam’s message. What sticks out to you?
By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.
Hebrews 11:24-26 NIV
Exodus 4:1-2, 10-12
Key Ideas To Remember
- Start where you are.
- Use what you have.
- Do what you can.
“You’ve got to know where you’re going to know where to start.”
“It doesn’t matter where you are when you know who you’re with.”
“What you have is exactly what God uses.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What are the hardest types of things for you to start?
- Do you make New Year’s resolutions? How long do they last?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Sam challenged us to fast-forward to the end to decide where, what, and how to start. What does this mean to you?
- Think of the something you’re struggling to start. How can knowing God is with you change your perspective?
- What do you have—both positive and negative—that God can use for good?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- As a potential national leader and public speaker, Moses had a speech impediment. How can you identify with Moses?
- God used Moses’ shepherd’s staff to set a nation free from slavery. What’s “in your hand,” because of who you are or what you’ve experienced?
- Sam urged us to stop worrying about step 28, to just start with step one, and trust God to get us to 100. What’s your step 100? What’s your step one?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Father, You are the same Father to Moses, who freed millions from slavery. Thank You for being with me today. Will You kick-start me into doing what I can, with what I have, where I am, for Your glory? Amen.
Start digging. Read Scripture about starting with God.
Philippians 4:6 Isaiah 41:8-10 Psalm 23 Matthew 6:25-34
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- What do you want the end to look like? How will you do what you can to get started this week?
- What’s something mundane in your everyday life—like Moses’ staff—that you’ll allow God to use mightily this year?
- Decide today to “know who you’re with.” Invite the Holy Spirit to embolden you with His presence daily.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme