God Wants You Happy
God Wants You Happy
Review Pastor Craig’s points to remember what stuck out to you from the message.
The Theology of Happiness
Whatever makes me happy must be right. Whatever makes me unhappy must be wrong.
Discomfort, delay, risk, suffering, inconveniences, and obstacles can’t be God’s will.
Without knowing it, I begin to worship the false gods of comfort, money, pleasure, and things.
God Doesn’t Want You Happy
- When it causes you to do something wrong or unwise.
1 Peter 1:15
- When it is only based on things of this world.
Better possessions + peaceful circumstances + thrilling experiences + the right relationships + the perfect appearance = happiness.
1 John 2:15-17
God Wants You Blessed
Pastor Craig has a video just for your LifeGroup this week! Watch it below.
Start with an icebreaker question to get everyone talking. Then choose questions that will work well with your group.
- If God really were a cosmic soda machine, which drink would you be?
- What are some things that just plain make you happy?
- What does culture say you need to be happy?
- How much of your day do you spend seeking out things that make you happy?
- If God doesn’t just want you happy, then what does He want?
- Read Proverbs 14:2. Think of a time you did something wrong or unwise in pursuit of happiness. Are you currently being tempted to do something wrong or unwise?
- What are some mini-gods in your life—stuff, perfection, having your way, control, feeling good?
- What is the scariest part about replacing the pursuit of happiness with the pursuit of God?
- List out loud some of the things in your life you think you should value higher than happiness?
- Read Psalm 37:1-7. Think about how you delight in the Lord. How have you experienced the blessings of God even when life isn’t going the way you want?
From the Source
To introduce some different perspectives into the conversation, consider reading one of these verses together.
Psalm 1:1-6 Matthew 5:3-10 Ecclesiastes 7:14 James 1:1-3 John 16:33 Proverbs 16:20 Proverbs 14:2 Psalm 37:1-7
Live It Out
End each week with a challenge to take action. Lead your group to help each person identify their next steps.
- Are you counting on something in the future like a job, spouse, house, or education to make life better? What step will you take this week to put your hope in Christ instead?
- Choose 1-2 things that you’ve been putting in front of God and skip them for a week. Replace them with time with God.
- As a group, how can we model to each other what it looks like to delight in God instead of just pursuing happiness?