Going the Distance
Get started by reflecting on Pastor John Gray’s message. What stuck out to you?
Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, “Sit here while I go and pray over there.” And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed. Then He said to them, “My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me.” He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”
Matthew 26:36-39 NKJV
“He had to live a worthy life to die and unworthy death. He didn’t just die for me. He died as me. That’s the power of salvation.”
“God had faith in you enough to let His Son die just in case you decided to serve Him later.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Had some bad Mexican food? Up all night with sick kids? Don’t just say “blessed.” Share how your week is really going.
- What song lyrics or Disney movie best captures your week?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- God took you here and brought you there. Share a story about ways God has brought you further in your journey with Him.
- What would our church look like if all of us were going the distance this John described?
- In what ways have we as a group set up this environment to encourage vulnerability? What could we all do better to be more vulnerable with each other?
- Is this group a place where you can be vulnerable? Why or why not?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- “Do I go after what’s comfortable, or do I go after greatness?” Well, which is it for you?
- Who are your eight, three, and one? Talk about how you may need to reposition some relationships that aren’t going to help you go the distance.
- Do you feel like you’re in a talent show instead of a family? How may that perception affect how you serve in our church?
- In what area of your life are you “here” but you need to be “there”? How will you create movement in that area?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Lord, help us to say that uncomfortable yes instead of saying no to His will. Give us the courage not to stay “here,” but to pursue You to over “there.”
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- “The distance between here and there is going to cost you something.” What’s your “uncomfortable yes” right now?
- What can you do to serve in our church and in our community in a way that reflects what Jesus did for us?
- How will you connect to God and His will? Set up an account and send friend requests to everyone in your group in the Bible App so you can grow together during the week.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme