Think back. What sticks out?
But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
Luke 10:29 NIV
How We Neighbor
- Recognize any prejudices.
But if you favor some people over others, you are committing a sin. You are guilty of breaking the law.
James 2:9 NLT
- Seek to understand others.
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28 NIV
- Love those different from you.
... there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. ... And they cried out in a loud voice: “Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb.”
Revelation 7:9-10 NIV
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Do you remember the first time you realized people were different colors? What happened?
- Have you ever experienced any kind of racism? How did you handle it?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Read James 2:9. How have you and your culture favored some people over others?
- Craig talked about how racism is a sin issue, not a skin issue. Why do you think racism is at odds with God’s ways?
- There is no racism gene. So where does it come from? How do you combat it?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- What are some prejudices (racial or otherwise) you’ve recognized in yourself? What will you do with them?
- Share an experience that helped you understand things from the perspective of another race.
- Racism isn’t just what we do—sometimes it’s what we don’t do. Are you withholding from people who are different from you? What would it look like to do the opposite?
- The Good Samaritan had to cross a literal street and a racial divide to love his neighbor. What barriers will you cross?
Start digging. Read Scripture about racial equality.
Romans 10:12 Acts 10:34-35 Colossians 3:11 John 13:34-35
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
God, will You break down the racial and social walls we’ve put up? Holy Spirit, reveal in our hearts any prejudice You want out. Give us the strength to love as You first loved us. Amen.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- How will you love your neighbor: reconcile a relationship, invite someone to dinner, start a conversation?
- Start the How to Neighbor Bible Plan—a practical guide to loving your neighbor as yourself. go2.lc/howtoneighbor
- Get your group pumped with this Life.Church original. go2.lc/neighboranthem
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme