Think back. What sticks out?
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
James 1:27 NIV
The Church is "Plan A"
- Caring for children is a central theme of Scripture.
Defend the weak and the fatherless; uphold the cause of the poor and the oppressed. Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.
Psalm 82:3-4 NIV
- God cares about children more than we can imagine.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families...
Psalm 68:5-6 NIV
- We're all adopted into God's family.
God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure.
Ephesians 1:5 NLT
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Kids say and do the funniest things. Who’s got a story?
- Do you celebrate Mother’s Day weekend? How?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- How would your life look different if you believed you were God's "Plan A" to care for people without families?
- Read James 1:27. Why do you think widows and orphans are highlighted specifically?
- What are some ways people could address this issue beyond actually fostering or adopting?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Who do you know who's involved in foster care or adoption? How can you support them?
- Have you or someone you’re close to experienced fostering or adoption in some way? How have you been impacted?
- How do you feel called to respond? What bold step will you pray about making?
Start digging. Read Scripture about caring for children.
Mark 9:37 Mark 10:13-14 Isaiah 1:17 Psalm 127:3-5
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
Heavenly Father, You adopted us into Your family. We want to open our hearts and homes to kids who need Your love. Will You speak to each of us about what we can do? Amen.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Do you know a single parent, hurting family, foster family, or adoptive family? How can our group regularly support them?
- Are you feeling tugged to consider fostering, adopting, or respite care? Talk with your campus staff about next steps.
- Sign up to serve in Switch or LifeKids at your campus. www.life.church/serving
- Volunteer with a local mentoring organization.
- • Read the Fostering Hope Bible Plan, perfect for Foster Care Awareness Month in May. go2.lc/fosteringhope
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme