Empowering The Poor
Think back. What sticks out?
"... Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."
Matthew 25:40 NIV
Proverbs 19:17 1 John 3:17-18 Luke 4:18-19
What Is Poverty?
Most Americans define poverty as a lack of something material.
The truly poor define poverty as a mindset.
The root of all poverty is brokenness.
We Are Called
To serve others not save others.
To relate with people not rescue people.
To reach out not reach down.
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Have you ever caught yourself complaining about #firstworldproblems? List some.
- What challenged you most about Craig’s message?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Be honest. Why do you think it’s hard to see ourselves as equal to people who are facing financial poverty?
- Read 1 John 3:17-18. What do you think it means to love with actions and truth?
- How do you think people can break cycles of poverty? What role should Christians play?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- What type of poverty have you personally experienced: financial, spiritual, relational, other? What gets you through it?
- Which of Craig’s three “We Are Called” points come naturally for you? Which are most difficult? Why?
- Have you been part of long-term relationships that brought restoration to people and/or communities? How did it work?
- What could you do to allow your own brokenness to change the way you relate with others who are also experiencing brokenness?
Start digging. Read Scripture about caring for children.
Matthew 25:31-46 James 2:14-17 Matthew 5:42 Luke 12:33-34
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
Jesus, You said whatever we do for “the least,” we’ve done for You. We want to do more for You. We need Your heart, Your strength, and Your wisdom to enter into restorative relationships with people in our communities. Amen.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Connect with a local partner near you to learn about getting involved in your community. www.life.church/localpartners
- What will you do to build meaningful relationships with people who are experiencing poverty?
- Start reading the practical guide to loving your neighbor as yourself. www.go2.lc/howtoneighbor
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme