Purpose Over Popularity
Think back to Craig's message. What sticks out?
By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.
Hebrews 11:24-26 NIV
Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!”
Acts 5:29 NIV
The Power of Purpose
- Purpose diminishes distractions.
- Purpose pushes you through the pain.
- Purpose empowers you to please God.
More Scripture About Purpose
Matthew 6:19-21, 25-33
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Have you ever been called a people-pleaser? Why or why not?
- Jock, nerd, rocker, gangsta, gamer, cheerleader—which high school stereotype had you pegged?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Craig said, “Living for the approval of people keeps you from the purposes of God.” Why do you think that is?
- Read Hebrews 11:24-26. Compare and contrast Moses’ story with cultural norms and modern success stories.
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Read Nehemiah 6:1-3. To what distraction do you need to say, "I'm doing a great work; I can't come down." What great work are you doing?
- What parts of your life are painful right now? What purpose is the pain affecting? How can that purpose push you through it?
- In what ways have you valued pleasing others over pleasing God? What one thing could you do to shift the greater value to God?
- Was there any point in the message or our conversation where you felt God speaking to you? What was it?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray with power.
God, there is power in purpose—especially Your purpose. We’re asking You to refocus our attentions to the passions and plans You’ve placed in our lives. Help us to make pleasing You the main thing. Amen.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Start the I Choose Bible Plan, and read everyday stories of choosing purpose. www.go2.lc/ichoose
- Fill in the blanks, and take action.
My main purpose is:
My main distraction is:
My greatest pain is:
To choose purpose, I will:
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme