Important Over Urgent
Think back to Craig's message. What sticks out?
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to [Jesus] and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
Luke 10:38-40 NIV
Choosing the Important
- Create artificial deadlines
- Be ruthlessly selective in your “yeses.”
- Do first what matters most.
1 Corinthians 6:12
1 Timothy 5:8
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- If you got two extra hours each day, what would you do more of?
- Which word best describes your last few weeks? Relaxed, busy, full, fun, rewarding. Why?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Read Luke 10:38-40. Do you identify with Mary or Martha? Explain.
- Why do you think we’re tempted to allow urgent things to rule our lives?
- Craig said busyness does not equal productivity. What busyness can you cut out of your life?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Name three urgent things you need to do and three important things you need to do. Which are getting more of your time?
- Do you have a process or trick that reminds you to choose important over urgent? Share an example.
- What’s the most important thing you’ve been too distracted to pursue? What do you need to stop doing to pursue it?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray with power.
Jesus, You lived a short life here on earth yet accomplished the most important work of all. Thank You. Will You give us the strength to think long-term and people-first? Will You help us to refocus on what matters most? Amen.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- What are you saying “yes” to that you need to say “no” to? Share out loud, make a list, and create a deadline to take your first steps (like, today).
- Start the I Choose Bible Plan and hear from people who discovered how to choose Important Over Urgent. www.go2.lc/ichoose
- Make important change in your finances. Ask your campus about Financial Peace groups.
Get this in your inbox. Visit go2.lc/emailme