I Deserve Death But He Gave Me Life
I Deserve Death, But He Gave Me Life
Review the key points from Craig’s talk, what stuck out?
We are all guilty of breaking God’s laws.
James 2:10 Luke 7:9 Luke 23:32-33,39-41
"We don't have eternal life because we're good. We have it because God is good."
We are all one of two thieves.
Thief #1: Unrepentant
(Prideful, critical, entitled, no fear of God, no need for a savior)
Thief #2: Repentant
(Feared God, broken, humbled, desperate, needed forgiveness)
"The second thief deserved death, but Jesus gave him life!"
Luke 23:42-43 Psalm 103:10 1 Peter 1:3
"Jesus gave up what He deserved to give us what we don’t deserve."
Where will you lead your group? Pick and choose from these suggestions to create the right discussion for your group.
- Tell your best “getting caught” story that wasn’t so funny when it happened.
- Best Easter tradition—let’s hear it.
- Not everyone has an I-stole-these-running-shorts-for-my-mom story, yet the Bible says we all come up short. Talk about the moment you first realized you needed Jesus’ forgiveness.
- How do you approach your sin and shortcomings differently now that you’ve realized your need for a savior?
- Craig talked about how the second thief had to be saved by grace through faith, not works. Do you live like you’re saved by your belief in Jesus or by your accomplishments for Jesus?
- What is one thing you’re facing that desperately needs the saving power of what Jesus has already done?
- Is there any guilt you need to acknowledge so Jesus can give you life?
- Read Romans 6:23 as a group. Does it compute for you that death is what you deserve? How should this realization change the way you live?
- Pray together to thank Jesus for the specific ways He already gave and continues to give you what you don’t deserve.
From the Source
What about Scripture? Read through these together to test your discussion with scriptural truth.
Philippians 2:5-11 Hebrews 9:12 John 12:23-25 Isaiah 53:1-12 1 Peter 2:24 Ephesians 2:4-10 Romans 6:23
Live It Out
End with a challenge to make it real. Commit to a next step as a group and bring the discussion to life this week.
- Start your day with worship music and reflection on your Savior in this three-day Bible reading plan: go2.lc/saviorforever
- Share your story of how Jesus has changed you with at least one new person this week.
- How will your week look different because of what Jesus has done for you?
Leaders, Craig filmed this video to thank you: go2.lc/heroes