I Deserve Condemnation But He Gave Me Mercy
I Deserve Condemnation, But He Gave Me Mercy
Review the key points from Craig’s talk. What stuck out?
The Woman Caught in Adultery John 8:1-12
"Go now and leave your life of sin." John 8:11b
So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. Romans 8:1 NLT
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." John 8:12
"When the light of the world becomes the light of your world, you will never walk in darkness."
Where will you lead your group? Pick and choose from these suggestions to create the right discussion for your group.
- Remember Craig’s baby monitor story? What’s your version of a #worststoryever?
- Are comparisons or past failures bringing you shame? How do you form your view of yourself?
- Describe what you thought and felt in a moment that your shame—or the reason for it—was taken away.
- "You’re used goods." "This is just the way you are." "You’re a fake." What voices of condemnation do you hear?
- You don’t have to get caught to feel condemned. Describe a time when you brought your issue to the light and got freedom.
- What do you need to leave behind so you can "go and leave your life of sin"?
- When you catch people in their brokenness, do you look more like Jesus or the religious leaders?
- Why do you think we attach shame to certain sins more than others? How do you think this works against us?
- Read Romans 8:1 as a group. Do you live like this is true? How would truly believing this transform your daily life?
From the Source
What about Scripture? Read through these together to test your discussion with scriptural truth.
James 2:13 Psalm 103:1-4 Matthew 5:7 Luke 6:37 1 John 1:9 Lamentations 3:22-23 Romans 8:1
Live It Out
End with a challenge to make it real. Commit to a next step as a group and bring the discussion to life this week.
- This seven-day reading plan about overcoming guilt will strengthen your perspective of God’s grace: go2.lc/guilt
- Are you holding a stone to throw at a certain person or group? Set it down this week and partner with Jesus to lovingly help people leave their sin behind.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to point out dark areas in your life where you need to trade condemnation for Jesus’ mercy and light. Pray together as a group and invite Jesus to free you.
Leaders, Craig filmed this video to thank you: go2.lc/heroes