Review Pastor Craig’s points to remember what stuck out to you from the message.
Consumer or Contributor?
We are not spiritual consumers; we are spiritual contributors. The church does not exist for us. We are the church, and we exist for the world.
1. God calls you to serve in His church.
Romans 12:6-8 NLT
2. God calls you to serve as His church.
“I see a church where people give more than they receive. Where people serve more than they’ve been served. Where people love more than they’ve been loved. A church passionate about reaching the next generation.”
Start with an icebreaker question to get everyone talking. Then choose questions that will work well with your group.
- Hold the lettuce, light mayo, double shot, extra foam, chrome rims, French tips — what do you like to have your way?
- Whoa! Who else felt like Craig and/or the Holy Spirit was talking straight to you? Share what impacted you most.
- Where did you land on the consumer-to-contributor scale? What contributed to your number?
- What are you “having your way” that you’ll have to give up so you can serve the way you need to?
- Serving, teaching, encouragement, giving, leadership, kindness, prophecy — which gifts has God given you?
- Craig mentioned some heroes — who are some spiritual contributors you notice? What makes them stand out?
- “You are the light of the world,” those are Jesus’ words about you. Think out loud, “How does this play out in my life?”
- Share how you have been served and loved by our church. How will you match or surpass what you’re receiving?
- The Bible says we should be known by our love. What are we known for as a group?
From the Source
To introduce some different perspectives into the conversation, consider reading one of these verses together.
1 Peter 4:10-11
1 Corinthians 12:4-7
Live It Out
End each week with a challenge to take action. Lead your group to help each person identify their next steps.
- What will you do differently this week to become more of a spiritual contributor?
- What actions will we take as a group to “be the church” and “exist for the world”?
- Get signed up for an opportunity to be a contributor in our church: lifechurch.tv/serving/