Standing Firm in the Fire
Start your discussion by reviewing this week’s key points.
This week’s text is Daniel 3 and 1 Peter 1:7.
A faith that is tested is a faith that can be trusted.
Three qualities of standing in faith
- Faith obeys God instead of following man. “If you’re committed to serving God, your spiritual enemy will give you ample opportunities to compromise your commitment.”
- Faith believes in spite of what it sees. My faith says, ‘My God is willing and able!’”
- Faithful obedience is our responsibility. Outcome is God’s.
How deep do you want to take your group? Choose from these suggestions to lead your discussion.
- What’s your favorite thing to cook over a fire? Steaks? S’mores? Let’s share some good campfire stories.
- Have you had a bad day recently? How can something as ordinary as a bad day challenge your faith?
- What was something that tested your faith this week? It can be anything from serious to silly—just share a bit about what you’ve been facing since we last met.
- What hard times are you in the middle of right now? Include ones you’ve just walked out of or ones you’ll walk into soon.
- Life or death religious persecution is happening in many parts of the world. What kinds of lower-risk, everyday pressures or persecution have you faced before? How did you handle it?
- 1 Peter 1:7 says that when your faith stays strong in trials, it honors God and helps reveal Jesus to the world. How have you seen that in someone’s life? How has someone else’s faith revealed Jesus to you?
- Would you ask God to test your faith? Why or why not?
- What would have happened if Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego would have bowed or compromised their faith? How have you seen compromise affect your faith?
From the Source
Read through these scriptures together if you want to introduce a new angle into your discussion.
Live It Out
End with a challenge to take action. Choose a closing question to help each person identify their next steps.
- Is there a trial you need to take a firm stand in? What specifically will you do differently from before?
- Is there something you know God wants you to do that you need to obey? What steps will you take this week?