Persevering Through Discouragement
Think back through Craig's talk. What stuck out?
Then Haggai, the LORD’s messenger, gave this message of the LORD to the people: “I am with you,” declares the LORD. So the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua son of Jozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of the whole remnant of the people. They came and began to work on the house of the LORD Almighty, their God.
Haggai 1:13-14 NIV
Haggai 2:3-4, 6-9 Galatians 6:9
The Causes of Discouragement
- Lack of progress
Persevere Through It
- Be strong
- Do the work
For He is with you!
"Successful people do consistently what normal people do occasionally."
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What’s your version of Craig’s vomiting on his nice, new bike story?
- What part of the message is still moving you?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Read Haggai 1:13-14. Why do you think God starts by telling His people that He’s with them?
- Which is more discouraging to you: comparison or lack of progress? How does it play out for you?
- What is something you’ve thought about quitting?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Are you better at identifying the changes you need to make or actually doing the work to make changes?
- What do you feel keeps you from being strong and doing the work you need to do to get past discouragement?
- When you’re feeling fully alive and successful, what’s consistently different about your life? How can you do more of that?
- What have you started and maybe stopped or paused? How will you press on with God to be strong and do the work?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- God, You didn’t just ask us to build Your house. You said, “I am with you; build my house.” Thank You for being with us. Holy Spirit, help each of us to identify the places we’ve allowed discouragement to hold us back. God, make us strong to do Your work. Amen.
From the Source
Start digging. Read Scripture about perseverance.
James 1:12 1 Chronicles 16:11 Romans 5:3-5 Hebrews 12:1-15
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Find God's help to "be strong" and "do the work" in His Word with this Bible Plan. go2.lc/timeisnow
- Start doing something you used to do when you felt strong in God. Remake the habit this week.
- Commit to start each day by praying, “God, what will we do together today?”
Leaders, Craig filmed this video to thank you: go2.lc/heroes