The Blessings of Obedience
Think back through Craig's talk. What stuck out?
Haggai 2:12-19 1 Corinthians 15:33
The Problem: Conditional obedience to God
God Wants Your Heart
- God wasn’t trying to punish His people.
- God was trying to restore His people.
- The greatest evidence of a right heart for God is obedience to God.
“Sin is like spaghetti sauce; it stains everything it touches.”
“We don’t obey so God will bless us. We obey because we love Him.”
“God wanted more than a nice temple. He wanted their whole hearts devoted and obedient to Him.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Do you know a selective listener? Are you one? Did you even hear this question?
- Do you have $5 obedience or $100 obedience? Share a story.
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Three weeks into this series, what are some themes you notice playing out in your life?
- Read Haggai 2:12-14. What message is God sending through Haggai? How does it apply today?
- Think about verse 2:14 specifically. How much of what you do is defiled by sin? What does God want instead?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- When you're making the right choices, but life just doesn't go your way, how do you respond?
- How current are you in your obedience to God? Is there anything on a waiting list?
- What is one thing you’re really struggling to trust God with? How could you give that part of your heart to Him?
- What hard things are happening to you that could be an opportunity to grow closer to God?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Father, We want to learn to obey You out of our love for You. Holy Spirit, teach us to trust, show us how to believe, and strengthen us to obey. Jesus, You are the only one who makes dirty things clean. Do Your work in us. Amen.
From the Source
Start digging. Read Scripture about obedience.
John 14:15 Acts 5:29 2 Corinthians 10:5 2 John 1:6
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Subscribe to The Time Is Now, a Bible Plan to help you cultivate obedience. go2.lc/timeisnow
- What step will you take this week to prioritize in your obedience to God?
Leaders, Craig filmed this video to thank you: go2.lc/heroes