Let Pastor Craig lead your discussion with this week's video.
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
John 14:12-14 NIV
What Matters When You Pray?
- Your relationships matter.
1 Peter 3:7
- Your motives matter.
- Your faith matters.
- God’s will matters.
1 John 5:14-15
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What Scriptures do you most often see getting twisted?
- Talk about a time you prayed for something and God answered your prayer.
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Think for a second before you answer. Do you most often try to apply truth from Scripture or try to apply Scripture to what you think is true?
- Read 1 John 5:14-15 together. What do you think it means to ask according to His will?
- How can you balance coming boldly to God in faith-filled prayer with also asking according to His will?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Read Mark 11:24-25 together. Share about a relationship where you held a grudge. How did it impact your prayers?
- Craig talked about three things that might hinder your prayers: unforgiveness, wrong motives, or struggling faith. If you had to choose one of these to work on, which of these would you choose, and why?
- Who is someone you need to forgive? Have you tried asking for God’s strength to forgive them?
- Share a story of a time you asked and asked for something before you finally realized your motives were wrong.
- Read Matthew 9:29-30. Rate your faith on a scale of none to blind-eyes-are-being-restored. What would build your faith?
- What is your biggest prayer request you have right now? Share it with your group, and pray for one another.
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Father, You spoke the Bible into existence to guide our lives. Will You help us to discover the meaning You intended? Holy Spirit, will You give us the strength to live out these life- transforming words? Amen.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Read through the Twisted Bible Plan together. go2.lc/twisted
- Which of the four points is hardest for you? Identify a step forward you’ll take this week.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme