The Root of All Evil
The Love of Money
Let Pastor Craig lead your discussion with this week's video. Also, find this video on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV, Fire TV, and YouTube
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."
1 Timothy 6:10 NIV
- Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income.
- But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.
1 Timothy 6:8-10
- Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.
1 Timothy 6:17
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What’s your favorite possession or purchase from the last year? What do you love about it?
- What would you do if you won the Powerball jackpot?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- What are some life experiences that have influenced your relationship to money?
- Before this message, how would you rate your love of money on a scale of 1 to 10? What impact did this message have on how you would rate yourself now?
- Have you thought about how much more you would need to feel secure? What does that show you about your heart?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Read 1 Timothy 6:6-19 aloud together. Which part is most convicting to you personally? Share why it sticks out to you.
- What are some areas of contentment in your life? Share about some things you’re really grateful for.
- Share a time when someone’s generosity made a difference for you. What are some ways you’d like to be more generous?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- God, it’s so tempting to fall in love with money and the things it promises. Help us to seek that provision only from You. We trust You alone for our contentment and security. Help us to seek significance from You and not our possessions. Forgive us for the ways we’ve let that dangerous love grow in our hearts.
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- What can you do differently with your money to make even more of a difference?
- Define your relationship with your finances and possessions. What could be a next step toward breaking up with your stuff?
- Apply a Life.Church theme to your YouVersion Bible App! Go to www.life.church/bible in your device browser. It will apply our theme if you already have the app or take you to your app store to download it for free if you don’t. Set up an account and friend the people in your group so you can continue to grow together.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme