When God Seems Inattentive
Think back through Craig’s talk. What sticks out to you?
The Story of John the Baptist
Mark 6:17-19, 26-28
When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples to ask [Jesus], “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?” Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”
Matthew 11:2-6 NIV
Many are the plans in a person's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21 NIV
- Just because God is silent doesn’t mean God is absent.
- You don’t have to understand the plan to trust God’s purpose.
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- John the Baptist ate what? What’s the nastiest thing you’ve ever eaten.
- Do you have a funny story of finding out someone wasn’t really listening? Bad phone connection, headphones in, etc.
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Did anything from the message change the way you think about God? How?
- Why do you think God doesn’t always intervene when we think He should?
- Do you think John the Baptist’s desires were ultimately fulfilled by Jesus? Why or why not?
- Read Proverbs 19:21. What does it mean to you?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Share a story about when God was silent. How did it turn out?
- Have difficult situations in your life changed your view of God? If so, how?
- If you were certain God would use the hard thing you are facing for good, how would that change your perspective?
- Do you have any perspectives of God that are inconsistent with the Bible?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- God we don’t always understand You, but we want to always trust You. Will You increase our faith and trust in You? Jesus, thank You for sharing in our pain on the cross. Amen.
Start digging. Read Scripture about trusting God.
Psalm 46:10 Proverbs 3:5-6 Isaiah 55:8-9 1 Corinthians 13:12
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- What is something you need to stop trying to understand and just trust God with?
- Start the When God Doesn't Make Sense Bible Plan today. go2.lc/whengod
- Think through situations that have negatively changed your view of God. Look for His purpose and presence in your pain.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme