When God Seems Late
Think back through Craig’s message. What sticks out to you?
The Story of Lazarus
“Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died....”
John 11:22 NIV
Two Things To Remember When Waiting On God:
- God’s delays are not necessarily God’s denials.
- If God always met your expectations, He’d never have the opportunity to exceed them.
“With God, a waiting season is never a wasted season.”
“The scene of your greatest disappointment may be the setting of your greatest miracle.”
“Mary and Martha wanted a healing—Jesus wanted a resurrection.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What is your worst story of showing up somewhere late?
- Is your patience like Craig’s? What is the hardest thing for you to wait on?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- What’s something you’re currently waiting for God to do for you? What might He be doing in you?
- Why do you think God’s timing is different from ours? What could be so different about our perspective?
- Do you think you’d be more like Mary who stayed home when Jesus was late or Martha who told Him He was late? Why?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Have you experienced a situation when God was late that still doesn’t make sense? What’s it like to go through that?
- Pastor Craig said, “God’s delays are not God’s denials.” Does this change your perspective of God’s timing?
- Share a story of a time God exceeded your expectations. How can you hold on to this as a promise of His faithfulness?
- What can you do to allow room for God to make miracles out of your disappointments?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- Jesus, forgive us for the times we reject You and doubt You because of Your timing. Will You also give us strength to trust You when You’re not on our schedule, or when our outcomes really hurt? Thank You for Your grace to work in us. Amen.
Start digging. Read Scripture about trusting God.
Isaiah 40:31 Psalm 27:13-14 James 5:7-8 Luke 18:1-8
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Wondering where God is? Go to His Word in the When God Doesn’t Make Sense Bible Plan. go2.lc/whengod
- Pick something you’ve been waiting for God to do. Set a reminder to pray each day this week for the Holy Spirit to reveal what He’s doing in you now.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme