When God Seems Uncooperative
Think back through Craig’s message. What sticks out to you?
The Apostle Paul’s Thorn
2 Corinthians 12:1-10
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
2 Corinthians 12:8-9 NLT
Three Things To Remember
- True prayer isn’t about getting our way but surrendering our will.
- Prayer reminds us we are not in control and keeps us close to the one who is.
- Prayer isn’t just asking but trusting.
“God’s grace fills the gap between our pain and His promises.”
Me: “This is what I need.” God: “No, I’m what you need.”
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- What’s something funny you regularly ask God to do? Find keys, no red lights ...?
- What’s the most outlandish prayer you’ve said or heard?
Start thinking. Ask questions to get your group thinking.
- Think of God’s answers to prayer as pure grace, not something you deserve. How could this change the way you view God’s cooperativeness?
- Read 2 Corinthians 12:7. Paul says the thorn was “given” to him. Why? By whom? What do you think about this verse?
- Craig described prayer as surrendering our will, not getting our way. Which do your prayers sound like? How would you shift?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Be honest. What’s something you need or want, but it feels like
God just won’t cooperate.
- What’s one of the hardest things you’re facing? What’s the scariest part about not being about to select the action you want God to take?
- Think of your greatest difficulty. If God never removed it, how could this struggle help you become more reliant on Him?
- What would you have to do differently to realize God’s grace is simply enough.
Start praying. Be bold, and pray specifically.
- God, this is a sore subject. Sometimes we feel like You’re uncooperative to solve our pain. The truth is, we want Your will instead of our way. You, not what You can do, but You alone are what we need. Thank You for being enough. Amen.
Start digging. Read Scripture about relying on grace.
Hebrews 4:14-16 Psalm 145:8 1 Peter 5:6-11 Psalm 33:4-6
Live It Out
Start doing. Commit to a step, and live it out this week.
- Start the one-week When God Doesn’t Make Sense Bible Plan. go2.lc/whengod
- Tell God and someone else about something you’ve been holding against God. Begin trusting Him to come through for you in His way in this area.
Want the Talk It Over guide emailed to you each week? Make it happen at go2.lc/emailme