Letting Go of Bitterness
Review this week’s message.
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy ... See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.
Hebrews 12:14-15 NIV
Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:31-32 NIV
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Romans 12:21 NIV
... bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.
Luke 6:28 NIV
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Romans 12:18 NIV
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- Okay, food war. Which is less bitter: coffee or tea? Which is better?
- What’s the pet peeve that most frequently causes you to become frustrated with people?
Start thinking. Ask a thoughtful question.
- Do you know someone who could be bitter but isn’t? How do you think they do it?
- What life opportunities could bitterness be preventing you from fully experiencing or enjoying?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Bitterness attempts to destroy love, intimacy, and trust. What’s your history with bitterness?
- Read Hebrews 12:14-15. What are some bitter roots you could take care of before they grow up to cause trouble?
- How will you kill bitterness with compassion and forgiveness? Share some specific ideas.
Start praying. Be bold, and pray with power.
God, You love us so well. Thank You for always forgiving us, even when we don’t deserve it. Holy Spirit, show us any bitterness in our lives. Please give us the strength to show compassion and forgiveness to people who have hurt us. We love You and praise You for all that You do. Amen!
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Who do you need to forgive? What’s your action plan?
- If you’ve read the Travel Light Bible Plan, pray about one person you can share it with. www.go2.lc/travel
- How will you use compassion and forgiveness to bring your family closer when you gather for the holidays? Here’s a helpful read: www.go2.lc/familyholidays
Find this in our app. Open the Life.Church app, choose this message, then tap “Talk It Over.”
Get this in your inbox. Visit info.life.church/talkitover.