Overcoming the Lies of Labels
Review this week's message.
Seeing their faith, Jesus said to the paralyzed man, “My child, your sins are forgiven.”
Mark 2:5 NLT
- The faith of those around you matters.
Your friends will either carry you toward Jesus or pull you away from Him.
- A label may describe you, but your identity in Christ defines you.
There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28 NLT
So I will prove to you that the Son of Man has the authority on earth to forgive sins.” Then Jesus turned to the paralyzed man and said, “Stand up, pick up your mat, and go home!”
Mark 2:10-11 NLT
- What the devil meant for evil, God will use for good.
God can use your past to change someone’s future.
Start talking. Find a conversation starter for your group.
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
- What words do you wish others used to describe you?
Start thinking. Ask a thoughtful question.
- Pastor Tim said, “Transformation rarely happens in isolation, but happens often in community.” Why do you think community leads to restoration?
- Read Mark 2:5. What did Jesus call the man? What does this mean to you?
Start sharing. Choose questions that create openness.
- Read Galatians 3:28, and fill in the blanks. I used to be
called ___, but now I’m called ___.
- What labels hurt you as a kid? How have they stuck around?
- Read Mark 2:10-11. Imagine you’re the person Jesus is speaking to. What does “standing up, picking up your mat, and going home” look like for you?
- How can God use your past to change someone else’s future?
Start praying. Be bold, and pray with power.
Heavenly Father, You’ve called us Your children. We are no longer defined by our past mistakes, because You are our future. Jesus, thank You for making this possible. Holy Spirit, give us the power to destroy the lies and labels that try to hold us back. Amen!
Start doing. Commit to a step and live it out this week.
- Write down some old labels and replace them with the new labels Christ has given you.
- Encourage at least four people this week who’ve been held back by labels.
- Destroy the lies of labels with the Overcomer Bible Plan: www.go2.lc/overcomer
Get this in your inbox. Visit go2.lc/emailme